7.20.2005

...and i'm back in the game

it has been a long time since i have posted anything or actually even read a music blog and while i don't usually like to make excuses for things, i feel that there are some decent reasons to explain what has taken up so much of my free time lately.

1. we moved... from Denver to Atlanta about 3 months ago. I have a new job which is way better than the old job. this is where i work now...but i don't have a house yet, however thanks to my gracious in-laws, i do have a roof over my head.

2. i got caught up in the whole texas hold 'em phenomena that is sweeping the country, and i am still caught up in it. i played in a tournament last night and i may play again tonight. at the junction of the new poker craze and the increasing relevance of the blog craze comes the obvious "poker blog". i now spend some of the time i used to spend reading music blogs reading about poker instead, i need to learn to balance this out better. this is my favorite and this is also good. in my opinion, poker blogs got a shot in the arm during the recently completed World Series of Poker in Vegas because ESPN won't be showing the $10,000 buy-in NL "main" event until oct.-nov. and die-hard fans didn't want to wait until then to hear about the action, so the almost play by play blogging of media types at the event provided an insight into what i'm sure we will all still watch on tv in a few months.

3. playing poker online can be fun and is usually free, i play here and here and am thinking about going here because the Full Tilt team is sick.

4. i got burned out... i kept trying to find new and better music that no one had ever heard of ever, so i was spending a lot of time downloading and streaming trying to find the next big thing for me....i just got bored of listening to a lot of mediocre music and trying to be excited about it. sure, i found some good stuff but i found a lot of really bad stuff as well. i've decided to slow it down a little and ease back into things and post music that appeals to me, not just continuing to try and be the guy who "heard it first" or "posted it first" in this case.

some bands e-mailed me their mp3's to post, so i will do so. some of these i have heard great things about, some nothing at all....and i appreciate that i was probably just the recipient of a mass marketing tool but i appreciate the effort to sway the blogging world:

The Hypertonics - these guys have shunned record labels and the usual melee of shopping an album around and have just posted their entire album on their site....and it's good.

Soft
- droppin'
- all that you're shown
- you make me wanna die
- lucky jam

that is all for now, hopefully this will last.

(does anyone enjoy that i write this blog as if people read it...?)

2 things to say:

PushStart Kitchen said...

Haha!

I appreciate it! I'm glad you're back so send me a line. You might like Elefant, Joanna Newsome, Sufjan Stevens and GWAR. Listen and see.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of your old job... I stop by periodically since your site's like the grocery store of good music. I thought I'd check in, seeing as how Rowling continues to rock the face of Y/A lit. No mention of it yet, I see! Congratulations on your new job - sounds great.